Jan 13, 2010

1:3 Scale Mini-Me

To help with the dimensions and packaging, I created a 1:3 scale model of me for the project. First, I found this awesome anthropometric pilot model that the US Air Force used to validate cockpit dimensions in their aircraft designs. Its known as a Two-Dimensional Drawing Board Manikin, and it was actually patented in 1977:


The model is of a male representing the 95th Percentile size of USAF personnel, which equates to 6'2" tall. Since I'm 6'1.5" tall, its about perfect, and it came with several arm and leg variants to fine tune the size. Even better, it already has a helmet on. Incredible...

I measured myself carefully, selected the arm and leg variants that fit me best, and enlarged the manikin image until it was exactly 6'1.5" tall in 1:3 scale (24 1/2 inches.) Then I cut out the pieces, glued them to 1/8" masonite, and cut them out on the jigsaw. I drilled out the mounting holes to articulate the parts accurately. Since I wanted the manikin in 3 dimensions and not two, I made two sets of arms and legs, as well as two sets of hips and ribcage parts. I then assembled them with screws, threaded rod, washers and nuts to create a three dimensional, perfectly articulated pilot model exactly my size. Cool. I haven't decided if I need to add foam "flesh" to the masonite to round out the body and limbs, but its sure a great start for building the interior around the pilot:

I also found the the Cockpit Geometry Design Guidelines published with the manikin in 1982 in the Human Factors tome Anthropometry and Biomechanics: Theory and Application, by Easterby, R.K., K.H.E. Kroemer, and D.B. Chaffin (Eds.) Then, my brother-in-law sent me this way cool link to an audio MP3 of Dennis Wolter (an approx. 57 MB mp3 download), founder of Air Mod, discussing human factors, aesthetics, and safety considerations regarding the interiors of homebuilt aircraft. Its in the Experimental Aircraft Association Historical AirVenture Forums here:


These resources will really help me get the driver's seat and controls right, and make the Moonray more comfortable and safer to operate than I would ever have been able to figure out on my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment